Posts Tagged ‘Congregation for Catholic Education’

Pontifical Institute of Theology and Philosophy, Alwaye

Posted by Fr Nelson MCBS on October 17, 2013

Pontifical Institute of Theology and Philosophy, Alwaye is an Institute in Kerala, India, which is predominantly an inter-ritual Faculty. One can learn theological and philosophical discipline as well as culture, heritage and tradition of the Kerala Church. “The Pontifical Institute, Alwaye” was erected by the Holy See at Alwaye, Kerala State, India in 1972. On 15th February 1973, the Pontifical Institute of Theology and Philosophy, Alwaye, was officially inaugurated by His Excellency, the Most Rev.Dr.John Gordon, then Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to India. On 25th April 1997, through a decree the Congregation for Catholic Education separated the Pontifical Institute from the Pontifical Seminary. At present the Pontifical Institute functions at two separate campuses – Mangalapuzha and Carmelgiri, and offers simultaneously courses of theology and philosophy in both campuses. It is entrusted to the Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council and is under the overall supervision of the Congregation for Catholic Education. It has at present the Faculty of Theology and Philosophy and may open new Faculties with the approval of the Holy See.

A Brief History of  The Pontifical Institute of Theology & Philosophy, Alwaye

The Beginnings

The Carmelite Missionaries, who were sent to Malabar by Pope Alexander VII, started a small Seminary at Verapoly in 1682 for the formation of both the Latin and the Syrian clergy.  Due to the lack of conveniences the Seminary at Verapoly was shifted to the new buildings at Puthenpally in 1866.  In 1888, the Seminary at Puthenpally was constituted the Major Central Seminary for the whole of Malabar, and was placed under Congregation of Evangelization of Peoples.  Owing to the increase in the number of students, a new Seminary with better accommodation was built at Mangalapuzha, Alwaye.  The new Seminary was officially inaugurated on 28th January 1933.  The increase in the priestly  vocations  necessitated  further extension.  On 24th November 1955  the new philosophical college at Carmelgiri was solemnly blessed and inaugurated by His Excellency Most Rev.Martin Lucas, then Apostolic Internuncio to India.  In 1964 the Seminary was raised to the ‘Pontifical’ status by the Holy See.  On June 12,1976, the direction and administration of the Pontifical Seminary was entrusted to the Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council.

Pontifical Institute of Theology and Philosophy

  The first step towards the realization of the plan for a Faculty had been taken on October 7, 1959, when the Congregation issued a decree affiliating the theology department of the Seminary with the Lateran University, Rome.  With this, the theology department of the Seminary became “Studium Theologicum” which was governed by norms given by the University and a convention between the Rector of the Lateran University and the Rector of the Seminary.  In April 1971, the Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council sent a petition to the Congregation for the erection of an autonomous Faculty.  On February 24, 1972, the Congregation for Catholic Education issued the decree erecting the Theological Faculty in the Pontifical Seminary.  The decree granted the new Faculty all the rights and privileges which were enjoyed by Theological Faculties.  It also empowered the Faculty to confer suitable degrees to students who are successful in their studies and research.  The power of conferring the degrees of Bachelor and Master (Licentiate) in theology was explicitly granted.  On 15th February 1973, the Pontifical Institute of Theology and Philosophy, Alwaye, was officially inaugurated by His Excellency, the Most Rev.Dr.John Gordon,  then Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to India.  On 25th April 1997, through a decree the Congregation for Catholic Education separated the Pontifical Institute from the Pontifical Seminary.  At present the Pontifical Institute functions at two separate campuses – Mangalapuzha and Carmelgiri, and offers simultaneously courses of theology and philosophy in both campuses.

Patron of the Institute

Saint Joseph

Joseph (Hebrew יוֹסֵף, “Yosef”; Greek: Ἰωσήφ) is a figure in the Gospels, the husband ofMary the mother of Jesus and the guardian of Jesus. In Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodoxand Anglican Christian traditions he is regarded as Saint Joseph.

The Pauline epistles, generally considered the earliest extant Christian records, make no reference to Jesus’ father; nor does the Gospel of Mark, generally considered the first of the gospels.[2] The first appearance of Joseph is therefore in the gospels of Matthew andLuke. Each contains a genealogy of Jesus tracing his ancestry back to King David, but the two are from different sons of David; Matthew follows the major royal line from Solomon, while Luke follows a minor line from Nathan, another son of David and Bathsheba. Consequently all the names between David and Joseph are different. According to Matthew “Jacob was the father of Joseph,” while according to Luke, Joseph, or possibly Jesus, is said to be “of Heli.” Some scholars reconcile the genealogies by viewing the Solomonic lineage in Matthew as Joseph’s major royal line, and the Nathanic lineage in Luke to be Mary’s minor line.[3][4]

MISSION

The Institute is entrusted with “the task of preparing with special care students for the priestly ministry for teaching the sacred sciences, and for the more arduous task of the Apostolate”. It is also the task of the Institute “to explore more profoundly the various areas of the sacred disciplines so that day by day a deeper understanding of the Sacred Revelation will be developed, the heritage of Christian wisdom handed down by our ancestors will be plainly brought into view.

PROFILE

The Institute erected by the Holy See at Alwaye, Kerala State, India, shall be called “The Pontifical Institute, Alwaye”. It functions in St. Joseph’s Pontifical Seminary Mangalapuzha and Camelgiri. It is entrusted to the Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council and is under the overall supervision of the Congregation for Catholic Education. It has at present the Faculty of Theology and Philosophy and may open new Faculties with the approval of the Holy See.

Academic Degrees 

According to the Statutes drawn up for the Faculty, the institutional cycle leading to the degree of Bachelor of  Theology consists of two stages.  The first stage comprises three years of Philosophy with languages and subsidiary subjects on Religion and Social Sciences.  A Diploma in Philosophy used to be given to the students who successfully completed this course.  On 1st October 1974 the Congregation for Catholic Education issued a decree authorising the Pontifical Institute of Theology and Philosophy  to confer the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. At present the Institute is empowered to confer the following degrees:

1) Bachelor of Philosophy

2) Bachelor of Theology

3) Master of Theology

4) Doctor of Theology

The degree of Bachelor of Philosophy is conferred on those who  successfully complete the three years course in Philosophy.  Those students who hold a University Degree prior to their joining the Institute can follow a two year cylce leading to the Degree of Bachelor in Philosophy. The degree of Bachelor of Theology is conferred on those who successfully complete the three and a half years course in Theology.  The degree of Master of Theology is conferred on those who successfully complete the four semesters of specialization in a prescribed branch of Theology. At present Spiritual Theology, Dogmatic Theology,  Pastoral Theology & Counselling and Biblical Theology are offered by the Institute as branches of specialization.The degree of Doctor of Theology is conferred after two semesters of the doctoral course and on fulfilment of the conditions stipulated by the Institute.

CONTACT INFORMATION

PONTIFICAL INSTITUTE ALWAYE
Mangalapuzha, P.B. No.1, Alwaye
Kerala, India – 683 102
Phone  :  0484-2606745
E-mail  :  info@mangalapuzha.org

Mangalapuzha Campus, Aluva 683102  

Tel:  0484-2606745,  2606746
Fax:  0484-2604729

E-mail: mangalapuzhaseminary@gmail.com

Website: http://www.mangalapuzha.org

Carmelgiri Campus, Aluva  683102 

 Tel:  0484-2604120,  2606632
Fax:  0484-2606520

E-mail: carmelgirialuva@gmail.com

Website: http://www.carmelgiri.com

Click here for the Official Website of Pontifical Institute

Advertisements

Posted in Information | Tagged: , , , , , , , | Leave a Comment »

Church Documents on Priestly Formation

Posted by Fr Nelson MCBS on October 7, 2012

Church Documents on Priestly Formation

  1. Second Vatican Council Documents: 
  2. Papal Documents: 
  3. Other Documents of the Holy See: 

Posted in Catechism, Documents | Tagged: , , , , , , , | Leave a Comment »

St Thomas Apostolic Seminary, Vadavathoor

Posted by Fr Nelson MCBS on July 11, 2012

Vadavathoor Seminary

Vadavathoor Seminary

The St. Thomas Apostolic Seminary was formally established by the Congregation for the Oriental Churches through its letter dated April 26, l962 and it was formally inaugurated and began functioning on July 3, l962. It is primarily intended for the education and formation of the seminarians of the Syro-Malabar dioceses. It is also open to the students of Syro-Malankara and Latin dioceses and of religious congregations. The Seminary is subject to the authority and control of the Syro-Malabar Bishops’ Synod, which exercises its authority through a Synodal Commission of Bishops.

Mission

The seminary aims at training priests primarily of the Syro-Malabar Church in the patrimony of Mar Thoma, the Apostle and Founder of the Church keeping up with the spirit of the time.  It fosters the human, spiritual, academic and pastoral formation of its seminarians.

Seminary Chapel, Vadavathoor

Spiritual Life

Celebration of the Divine Praises, the Holy Qurbana and the recitation of the Rosary forms part of the daily time table.  Special attention is given to the daily meditation of the Word of God and the the lectio divina in common. Students draw adequate spiritual benefit from regular reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and from the earnest participation in recollections and retreats, observance of fast and abstinence. Spiritual instructions and conferences, particularly individual conferences and guidance are help in their spiritual journey during the formative years. Seminary has four resident spiritual directors. Seminarians are encouraged to find time for personal prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament at the Adoration Chapel.  The monthly recollections and the Annual retreats provide for their spiritual growth.

Paurastya Vidyapitham

Paurastya Vidyapitham is the local name given to the Pontifical Oriental Institute of Religious Studies which is an autonomous faculty of Theology  erected at St. Thomas Apostolic Seminary, Vadavathoor, Kottayam. This  Seminary has been established by the Congregation for the Oriental Churches through the letter No. 260 / 59, dated April 26, 1962. It is primarily intended for the education and formation of the seminarians of  all the Syro – Malabar Eparchies and also of the Syro- Malankara Eparchies. It is also open to all the Eparchies of the other Churches and in particular of the Latin Church of Kerala for sending their seminarians. The Seminary is subject to the authority and control of the Syro – Malabar Bishop’s Synod, which exercises its authority through a specially elected Synodal Commission.

By a decree of the Congregation for the Catholic Education Prot. No. 674/72/13, the Theological Department of the Seminary was affiliated to the Faculty of Oriental Ecclesiastical Sciences at the Pontifical Oriental Institute Rome on the 21st of February 1973. After an experimental period of 4 years, the affiliation was renewed and extended by the letter of the Congregation for the Catholic Education, dated April 10, 1977. Then realizing the important role of this seminary in the life of the Oriental Churches of India and taking into account its steady growth in the past years the Congregation for Catholic Education erected its academic section into an independent Theological Faculty with right to confer the degrees of B. Th. (Bachelor of Theology), M. Th. (Master of Theology) and D. Th. (Doctor of Theology) through the decree “Perinisigne Fidei Christianae Testimonium” on July 3, 1982 on the Feast of St. Thomas, the Apostle of India.

On August 15, 1985 the Department of Philosophy at this Faculty was given the power to confer the degree of B. Ph. (B.A. in Philosophy). The Institute was authorized officially to commence the Doctoral Course by the letter of the Congregation for the Catholic Education dated November 28, 1986.

General Orientation of the Institute

The programme of formation at this Institute aims at the development of fully integrated priestly personality, and therefore takes into account the human, spiritual, intellectual, pastoral and missionary dimensions of priestly formation. With this end in view the programme of studies co-ordinates the fields of Humanities, Philosophy, Theology, Bible and Eastern Christian Studies in such a way as to present the Mystery of Christ harmoniously to the students.

The specific aims of the Institute are the following:

  •  To cultivate and promote through scientific research the patrimony of Christian wisdom of both East and West with special emphasis on Biblical, Patristic, Oriental, Syrian and Indian traditions.
  •  To enunciate systematically the truths contained in the Biblical, Patristic, Liturgical and Spiritual traditions of Eastern Ecclesiastical heritage and to present them to the people of the present day in a manner adapted to the local cultural context.
  •  To impart a Theological and Pastoral formation to the candidates for priesthood.
  • To train its students to a level of high qualification in the Sacred Sciences and allied subjects according to Catholic doctrine, to prepare them properly to face their tasks in the various fields of apostolate and to promote the continuing permanent education of the Ministers of the Church as well as other sections of the people of God.
  •  To Promote the study and investigation of the writings of the Oriental Fathers and writers and of the Theological, Spiritual, Liturgical and Disciplinary heritage of the Oriental Churches of India.
  •  To promote ecumenical studies and investigate traditions of the various Christian Churches with special reference to the actual situation of India.

Click here for the Official Site of the Seminary

Posted in Seminary | Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Dharmaram College, Bangalore – A Major Seminary of the CMI Congregation

Posted by Fr Nelson MCBS on July 11, 2012

Dharmaram College, a major study house of CMI Congregation, was replanted in Bangalore on 1st June, 1957. The name ‘Dharmaram’ is a combination of two Sanskrit words, dharma (virtue) and aram (garden), which together mean ‘GARDEN OF VIRTUES’. Dharmaram is dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the motto is Isabhakti Paramjnanam (Love of God is the Supreme Wisdom). Dharmaram aims at educating people who are prepared to commit themselves to the service of the Church and the world, which is accomplished through a holistic, spiritual, intellectual and cultural formation.

A Major Seminary of the CMI Congregation

The foundation stone of the Study House was laid by His Grace Thomas Pothacamury, the then Archbishop of Bangalore, on July 16, 1955. Of the many distinguished guests who were present on that auspicious occasion, the late Cardinal Antony Padiyara, the First Major Archbishop of the Syro-Malabar Church, needs special mention.

The structure completed first was a small residence and it was blessed on October 7, 1955.  Rev. Fr. Dismas Vadakkethala, who was entrusted with the construction work of the Study House in its initial stages, stayed there and supervised the work till he returned to Kerala on November 16, 1955.

 Rev. Fr. Jonas Thaliath, later Bishop of Rajkot, the visionary behind Dharmaram College, took charge of the house on November 21, 1955.  Dharmaram was his long cherished dream to its minute details, and had it not been for his untiring labour, enduring spirit, and enterprising talent, it would never have acquired the present shape. With Fr. Jonas Thaliath at the helm and assisted by Fr. Kurian Palackal and Bro. Benjamin Muricken, the construction works progressed at a faster pace. Within a period of eighteen months, West Wing III with seventy-five single rooms, Refectory and Kitchen were completed.

Saturday, June 1st 1957 will ever remain memorable in the annals of the CMI Congregation.  It was on this day that the Sacred Heart Study House founded in 1918 at Chethipuzha was shifted to Bangalore and was given the new name, Dharmaram, meaning “the Garden of Virtues and Righteousness.”  Dharmaram College was also raised to the status of a formed house, with the Rector of the seminary as its head on this very day. His Grace Thomas Pothacamury, Archbishop of Bangalore, blessed the new building and offered Mass for the community to solemnise the humble beginning of the central study house of the CMI Congregation.

 Fr. Chrysostom Ponnumpurayidam was appointed its first Rector, and he took charge on June 1, 1957.  Frs. Januarius Palathuruthy, Canisius Thekkekara, Paulinus Jeerakath, Jonas Thaliath, Lukas Vithuvattickal, Mansuetus Andumaly, John Britto Chethimattam, Eustace Thottan and Cosmos Madathil formed the pioneering staff members of Dharmaram College. This auspicious occasion was graced by the presence of Rev. Fr. Maurus Valiaparambil, Prior General, Fr. Athanasius Payappilly, General Councillor, Fr. Clemens Thottungal, Provincial of Devamatha Province and many CMI Fathers and Brothers.

         Dharmaram College was formally inaugurated on February 23, 1958.  The inauguration day was preceded by a day of adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. His Grace Msgr. J. R. Knox, the Papal Internuncio gave the inaugural address.  In his address Msgr. J. R. Knox depicted Dharmaram College as the culmination of a long dream of the Syro-Malabar Carmelite Congregation and closed his address with the wish, “Vivat, Creascat et Floreat,” meaning “May Dharmaram live, grow and flourish!”

 Dharmaram has been blooming for the last forty-five years. It has at present training facilities for about three hundred residential students.  The dream of Fr. Jonas Thaliath to make Dharmaram a centre for the Catholic education has been realized on January 6, 1976, when the Congregation for Catholic Education constituted a Faculty of Theology at Dharmaram.

By its decree of December 8, 1983, Antiquissima Indorum, the Congregation for the Catholic Education created the Faculty of Philosophy at Dharmaram Pontifical Institute on March 25, 1984, and established in perpetuity the existing Faculty of Theology and thus granted the institute the status of an Athenaeum which is known as Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram, meaning the temple (kshetram) of wisdom (vidya) in the garden (aram) of virtues (dharma). In the context of the ever increasing importance of specialization and research in Oriental Canon Law, a new Institute was erected at Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram by the Congregation for Catholic Education, on March 29, 1999.

 Realizing the call for integral development of the youth, Dharmaram extended and expanded its activities into many other fields. To nurture a creative interest in nature among students and as a source of income to meet the day-to-day expenses of Dharmaram College, stretches of farmland were purchased near Kengeri, one in 1962 and the other in 1964 to develop farms. Awakened by the realities of interdisciplinary approach at the intellectual level, Christ College was started on July 15, 1969. With fond hope of enhancing experience in the pastoral apostolate of the students undergoing training at Dharmaram, a parish of the Syro-Malabar faithful has been established at Dharmaram in 1983. To meet the felt needs of the people around us, Dharmaram has taken initiative to open two schools, one with Kannada and the other with English as the medium of instruction in June 1984.

 The development of Dharmaram into a multi-faceted educational institution, later, paved the way for a separate residence for some of the teaching staff.  It was envisaged that this residence would improve the quality of various apostolates at Dharmaram College, especially the religious and intellectual training of the students. The foundation stone for the residence, Chavara Bhavan, was laid by Rev. Fr. Thomas Kadankavil, the then Rector, Dharmaram College on January 22, 1994.  Rev. Fr. Thomas Mampra, the then Prior General blessed the Chavara Bhavan on December8,1994.

 The dream of our bygone generation has found concrete expression in course of time through the establishment, growth, and the significant contributions of Dharmaram to the Church, the nation and the world at large.

Memorable Events and Dates

1953:

Dec. 08 The blessing of the foundation stone by His Eminence Card. Tisserant

1955:

March 23 Purchase of site for Dharmaram College in Bangalore

July 16 Laying of the foundation stone by His Grace Thomas Pothacamury

Oct 07 Completion of first residential unit and its blessing by Fr. Dismas Vadakkethala

1957:

April Completion of construction work of WW III, Refectory and Kitchen

June 01 Blessing of the new building by his Grace Thomas Pothacamury

Fr. Chrysostom Ponnempurayidom appointed Rector of Dharmaram College

Dharmaram College erected as a formed house

1958:

Feb. 23 Inauguration of Dharmaram by His Grace Msgr. J. R. Knox, Apostolic Internuncio, Delhi

Sept. 06 Completion of the furnishing of the third living block and its blessing by Fr. Chrysostom Ponnempuryidom, Rector

1960:

Jan. 21 Fr. Canisius Thekkekara appointed Rector of Dharmaram College

April Completion of the first phase of Press Block

Sept. 24 Visit of His Eminence Cardinal Agaginian, Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for Propagation of Faith

Dec. 15 The mortal remains of Joseph Kariati, Archbishop of Cranganore who died at Goa on Sept. 9, 1786, was brought to Dharmaram on its way to Kerala

1962:

Feb. Purchase of farmland at Kengeri for the proposed estate (Devadan)

May 21 Death of Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Kunnumkal

June 5 Appointment of Fr. Januarius Palathuruthy as Mission Superior of the new Mission Region (Chanda) entrusted to the CMI Congregation

1963:

Jan. 06 Re-appointment of Fr. Canisius Thekkekara as Rector of Dharmaram College

1964:

Dec. 01 Ordination of 45 of our deacons at Bombay during international Eucharisdc Congress attended by His Holiness Pope Paul VI

1966:

Jan. 10. Fr. Canisius Thekkekara, Rector, elected as Prior General, of CMI Congregation

Jan. 24 Fr. Jonas Thaliath appointed as Rector and Fr. Chrysostom Ponnempuryidom as Vice-Rector of Dharmaram College

1967:

May 21 Visit of Mr. Nijalingappa, the Chief Minister of Mysore (Kanataka)

May 22 Sudden demise of Fr. Roger Kattarath in a railway accident at Kuppam, on his way to Kerala

Sep. 01 Visit of His Eminence Cardinal Valerain Gracias of Bombay

1968:

Sept 24 The foundation stone of Christ College was laid by His Excellency Joseph Caprio, Apostolic Pronuncio to India.

June 9 Commencement of construction of Christ College

1969:

Jan 03 Visit of Sri. V. V. Giri, the Vice-President of India

Jan 15 Fr. Theophane Kanjooparambil appointed Rector of Dharmaram College

May 14 Visit of His Eminence Cardinal Joseph Parekattil, Archbishop of Ernakulam

May 15-25 Church in India Seminar at Dharmaram College

June 24 Sudden demise of Fr. Mansuetus Andumaly, former Professor of Philosophy at Chethipuzha

July 15 Blessing of Christ College by Fr. Theophane Kanjooparambil, Rector

1970:

Oct 23 Visit of Msgr. Salvatore Corrofalo, Rector of Propaganda College, Rome

1971:

Jan 03 Inauguration of CSWR

Feb 02 Visit of His Excellency Sri. Dharmaveera, the Governor of Mysore

Aug 08 Assignment of a separate block for our students studying at Christ College

1972:

Jan 17 Fr. John Britto Chethimattam appointed Rector of Dharmaram College

July 03 Foundation stone laid for Dharmaram College Chapel

Visit of Fr. Carriers S.J., Rector, Gregorian University, Rome

1974:

June Inauguration of the Publication of an International Philosophical Quarterly, Journal of Dharma

June 3 Fr. Claudius Alappat passed away at II p.m.

1975:

March 10 Consecration of Dharmaram Chapel by His Eminence Joseph Cardinal Parekattil

April 22 Fr. Mathias Mundadan took charge as Rector of Dhamaram College

1976:

June 2 Blessing of the Parlour and Administrative Block by Fr. Liguori Mundackal, General Councillor

July 3 Inauguration of Dharmaram Pontifical Institute of Theology and Philosophy by His Eminence Joseph Cardinal Parekattil

1978:

Jan 2 Fr. Thomas Aykara, staff member, is elected Prior General

March 1 Visit of His Eminence Cardinal Pironio and Internuncio His Grace Sereno

1979:

Jan 31 Visit of Mother Theresa

1981:

Jan 3 Celebration of the 110th death Anniversary of the Servant of God Kuriakose Elias Chavara

Jan 10 Visit of His Eminence Cardinal W. Rubin, Prefect of the Congregation for Oriental Churches

Jan 25 Bro. Mathew Karikunnel MCBS, a first year theology student expired

March 11 Fr. Justin Koyipuram appointed Rector of Dharmaram College

May 22 General Synaxis of the CMI Congregation to revise the Constitution began at Dharmaram College

July 1 Inauguration of the Silver Jubilee of Dharmaram College by Fr. Thomas Aykara, Prior General

Nov 7 Bp. Jonas Thaliath expired of a heart attack at Rajkot

1982:

Jan 2 150th Jubilee celebration of the CMI Congregation

Jan 3 Inauguration of the School of Printing by Fr. Thomas Aykara, Prior General

July 4 Conclusion of the Silver Jubilee celebration of Dharmaram. His Excellency Govind Narayan the Governor of Karnataka was the chief guest and R. Gundu Rao, the Chief Minister was the President. Msgr. F. Marchisano, the Delegate from Rome, gave the Jubilee Address. Representative of the Congregation for Catholic Education and Msgr. Cerutti of the same Congregation graced the occasion

Oct 25 Inauguration of 10 ‘Janatha Houses’ constructed by Dharmaram with Government aid on the Bangalore Mysore road, near Devadan Farm

Nov 7 First Death Anniversary of Bp. Jonas Thaliath observed with solemn Requiem Mass. A portrait of Bp. Jonas Thaliath unveiled in the auditorium

Nov 26 Inauguration of the Housing Colony near St. Mary’s Farm constructed by Dharmaram Association for Social Service (DASS) with aid from the Government

1983:

Feb 27 Fr. Prior General constituted a nine-member committee for the evaluation of Dharmaram

March 19 Solemn inauguration of the new Syro-Malabar Parish (St. Thomas Parish) at Dharmaram by Archbishop Arokyaswamy

June 1 Inauguration of Christ Vidyalaya

1984:

Mat 26 Fr. Thomas Mampra appointed Rector of Dhamiaram College

June 1 Inauguration of Christ School

1987:

Feb 12 Inauguration of Christ College Library Block

May 1 Fr. Thomas Mampra re-appointed Rector of Dharmaram College

Aug 4-7 National Seminar on “Mission in India Today”

1988:

April 16 Fr. John Kallikuzhuppil, who met with an accident on the previous day, died

1989:

June 15 Blessing of the Theology Faculty Block by Archbishop Alphonsus Mathias in the new DVK. Campus

1990:

Jan 30 The newly constructed Administrative block of DVK was inaugurated by Cardinal Arinze, the President of the Papal Commission for NonChristian Religions

Feb 18 The multipurpose hall of St. Thomas Parish was blessed by Bp. Joseph Kundukulam

April 3 Fr. Thomas Mampra, Rector, elected Prior General of the CMI Congregation

April 25 Fr. Mani Giles Pothanamuzhy appointed Rector of Dharmaram College

Aug 6 Bishop Paulinus Jeerakath died in St. John’s Medical College Hospital, Bangalore

Aug 8 Body of the late Bp. Paulinus Jeerakath was brought to the Dharmaram Chapel, His Eminence Cardinal Antony Padiyara led the concelebrated liturgy

1991:

July 3 ‘New Block’ of Christ College was inaugurated

July 16 Blessing of the new block of Dhamiaram School of Printing

Jan 20 Blessing of DVK PG Block by His Eminence Cardinal Antony Padiyara

June 15 DVK Cafeteria blessed by Rev. Fr. Thomas Mampra, Prior General

1993:

May 16 Fr. Thomas Kadankavil took charge as Rector of Dharmaram College

June 1 Newly constructed Kannada Medium School (Christha Vidyalaya) blessed by Fr. Thomas Kadankavil, Rector

Aug 14 Formal inauguration of Christha Vidyalaya by Sri. Veerappa Moily, Chief Minister of Karnataka

Aug 17-18 International Seminar on ‘The Future of Interreligious Dialogue” inaugurated by the Governor of Karnataka, Sri Kursheed Alam Khan

Sep 9 Christ School Canteen blessed by Fr. Thomas Mampra, Prior General

Nov 7 Newly constructed building of the Faculty of Philosophy was blessed by Msgr. Michael, the resident ofWeltmissio, Archdiocese of Cologne

1994:

Jan 22 Laying of the foundation stone of Chavara Bhavan

Sep 22 Blessing of PG Block of Christ College by Rev. Fr. Thomas Kadankavil, Rector

Dec 8 Blessing of Chavara Bhavan by Rev. Fr. Thomas Mampra, Prior General

1995:

Jan 5 Sudden demise of Rev. Fr. Liguori Mundackal in a traffic accident at Aluva

Jan 16 Christ College celebrated its Silver Jubilee with the Honourable Chief Minister of Karnataka, Sri. H. D. Deve Gowda, as chief guest

1996:

Jan 3 Ordination of 42 deacons at Mannanam on the occasion of 125th death anniversary of Blessed Kuriaskose Elias Chavara

May 26 Fr. Domitian Manickathan took charge as Rector of Dharmaram College

July 14 Blessing of Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chapel at Egipura

Oct 2 Bro. Chacko lrupathinalilchira, doing his third year degree at Christ College, died in a scooter accident

Dec 18 Fr. Mani Giles, former Rector of Dharmaram College, the new Bishop of Mananthavady

1997:

Jan 12 Blessing of Blessed Alphonsa Centre, a new chapel in the City Ward

1998:

Feb 15 Blessing of Great Jubilee Memorial St. Thomas Parish Church by Mar Varkey Vithayathil, the Apostolic Administrator of the Syro-Malabar Church

May 8 Fr. Avarachan Peenickaparambil died in Manipal Hospital, Bangalore

May 9 Bro. Joshy Kocherry, a second year theology student expired

Aug 12 Second Block of Christ College was blessed by Fr. Domitian Manickathan, Rector, Dharmaram College

Sep 27 Formal Erecdon of Syro-Malabar parishes at Bommanahalli, Egipura, Anapalayam, and Lingarajapuram

Nov 23 The first Apostolic Visitation of Dharmaram College and DVK started under the presidentship of Mar Varkey Vithayathil, Apostolic Administrator of Syro-Malabar Church

1999:

Jan 1 Establishment of Dharmaram College, DVK, and Christ College and Schools Administrative Bodies

May 21 Fr. Benjamin Kottooran, who was Spiritual Director in Dharmaram College for 23 years, expired

May 26 Fr. Sebastian Poonolly took charge as Rector of Dharmaram College

June 6 St. Thomas Parish was raised to the status of a Forane Church

Formal erection of Bl. Alphonsa Church, Bangalore City, as an independent Syro-Malabar Parish

June 14 Inauguration of the Institute of Oriental Canon Law in DVK by Mar Varkey Vithayathil, Apostolic Administrator, Syro-Malabar Church

July 20 Fr. Mathew Bassus Manjakunnel expired

Aug 2 Blessing of new Adhyayana (DVK Residence for Sisters) building

2000:

March 10 Silver Jubilee of the construction of Dharmaram Chapel was celebrated with a Concelebrated Mass

March 29 Rev. Br. George Mundankavil of Samanvaya expired in an accident at Bhopal

June 26 Archbishop Alan De Lastic of Delhi Visited Dharmaram College

Aug 16 Mar Varkey Vithayathil, Major Archbishop, visited Dharmaram College and inaugurated the national seminar on Canon Law in DVK

Sep 20 National Assembly of Kristu Jayanthi 2000 began in Dharmaram College

2001:

Aug 20 Most Rev. Edwin Regan, Bishop of Wrexham U. K. visited Dharmaram College

Nov 4 Foundation Stone of Christ Junior College was laid by Rev. Fr. Sebastian Poonoly, Rector, Dharmaram College

Feb 22 Newly constructed bank building in DVK compound was blessed by Archbishop Ignatius Pinto, Bangalore and an extension counter of the Catholic Syrian Bank was inaugurated

April 6 Rev. Fr. Antony Kariyil was elected Prior General of the CMI Congregation.

May 1 Rev. Fr. James Narithookil appointed Rector of Dharmaram College

July 3 The newly constructed DVK Library was inaugurated by Archbishop Ignatius Pinto

2003:

Feb. 16 Blessing of Hongasandra Holy Family Church

The Golden Jubilee of Mar Emmanuel Pothanamuzhy and Rev. Fr. Mathias Mundadan was

celebrated in Dharmaram College

April 6 Bp. Mar Emmanuel Pothanamkuzhy expired with cancer

April 24 National Meeting of the CRI began in Dharmaram Campus

May 14 Inauguration of a branch of the South Indian Bank at Christ College by Fr. Prior General

Aug 7 Visit of His grace Rt. Rev. Dr. Joseph Pittau S. J., and Fr. Albin Graus, the secretary and the officer respectively of the Congregation for Catholic Education

2006:

October 28 Inauguration of Golden Jubilee Year of Dharmaram  by His Grace Bernard Moras, Archbishop of Bangalore.

2007: 

June 12-13 Alumni Gathering at Dharmaram.

June 13-15 National Seminar on Formation Through Integral Education.Inaugurated by His Grace Bernard Moras, Archbishop of Bangalore and Key Note address by Mar Joseph Powathil, Archbishop Emeritus of Changanassery.

Click here for the Official site of Dharmaram College

Posted in Seminary | Tagged: , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

About Mangalapuzha Seminary

Posted by Fr Nelson MCBS on June 23, 2012

Mangalapuzha Seminary

St. Joseph’s Pontifical Seminary, Mangalapuzha (സെന്റ്‌ ജോസഫ് പൊന്റിഫിക്കല്‍ സെമിനാരി,  മംഗലപ്പുഴ) is a Major Seminary of the Syro-Malabar Church of the St. Thomas Christians.  It is the continuation of several Seminaries and the outcome of the centralization of the priestly formation in Kerala.   It has a long history of untiring service and selfless sacrifice of several missionaries, native clergy and laity.

 In 1964 the seminary was raised to Pontifical status by the Holy See.  His Excellency Most Rev. Dr. James Robert Knox read the Papal Brief at a public meeting in the seminary on 14 June 1964.The Kerala Catholic Bishops Conference (K.C.B.C.) was entrusted with the direction and administration of the Seminary On 12 June 1976.  On 27 October 1973, a formal request was made by the Superior General of the Carmelite Order for the transfer of the direction and administration from the Superior General of the Order to the Catholic Hierarchy of Kerala.  On 12 June 1976 the Congregation for the Oriental Churches communicated to the Kerala Catholic Bishop’s Conference the decision of the Congregation for the Oriental churches and the Congregation for the Evangelization of the Peoples to transfer the direction of the seminary to the K.C.B.C.  The letters of the Congregations recall the concern of the two Congregations for the well-being and progress of the Pontifical Seminary and its continuance as a model of inter-ritual cooperation.  The statutes of the Seminary approved by the two Congregations state ‘St. Joseph’s Pontifical is a pluriritual institution, common to the three Rites, namely the Syro-Malabar, the Latin and the Syro-Malankara.  The seminary belongs to the Holy See and its direction and administration is entrusted to the Conference of Bishops of the three Rites of Kerala, subject to the high authority of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches and the Congregation for the Evangelization of the Peoples’.

 The request of the KCBC to reorganize  the seminary on the basis of the Rites was approved by the Holy See in 1996.  Concrete steps for the implementation of the project were taken at the end of the academic year 1996-1997.  With academic year 1997-1998 Mangalapuzha section started to function as the Major Seminary of the Syro-Malabar Church.  Now the seminary is subject to the Holy See under the Congregation for the Oriental Churches and its direction and administration are entrusted to the Syro-Malabar Major Archiepiscopal Synod.

The objective of the seminary is to provide priestly formation to the seminarians of the Syro-Malabar Eparchies.  Members of Religious Institutes and Societies of Apostolic life who are preparing themselves for priestly ministry as well as seminarians of other Eastern Churches may also be admitted according to the availability of accommodation.

 The programme of formation given here aims at the development of a fully integrated priestly personality taking into account the human, spiritual, intellectual, pastoral and missionary dimensions of priestly formation.  While giving this formation the seminary also gives particular emphasis to the study of traditions and heritages of the Church of St. Thomas Christians and of other Eastern Churches taking into consideration the religious and cultural context of India.  The seminary also gives importance to inter religious dialogue particularly with the religions of India.  There are also con-curricular activities as part of the seminary formation such as cultural academies to train the students in the art of public speaking, social work in order to create in them concern for the poor, the pastoral work for the Theology students to give them pastoral experience.

Mangalapuzha seminary (മംഗലപ്പുഴ സെമിനാരി) has been blessed with the presence of about 22 resident members of the staff and almost an equal number of visiting staff.  Regular staff meetings, prayer sessions and an exclusive annual retreat help to motivate and mobilize them in the desired direction of seminary life and formation.

Aeterni Sacerdotii

Pasce oves meas

 

Aeterni Sacerdotii

On February 24, 1972, the congregation for Catholic Education issued a decree erecting a Theological Faculty in the Pontifical Seminary, Alwaye. The first step towards the realization of the plan for a Faculty had been taken on October 1959, when the Congregation issued a decree affiliating the theology department of the Seminary with the Lateran University. With this, the theology department of the Seminary became “Studium Theologicum” which was governed by norms given by the University and a convention between the Rector of the Lateran University and the Rector of the seminary. In April 1971, the Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council sent a petition to the Congregation for the erection of an autonomous Faculty. On February 24, 1972, the Congregation for Catholic education issued the decree erecting the Theological Faculty in the Pontifical seminary. The decree granted the new Faculty all the rights and privileges which were enjoyed by Theological Faculties. It also empowered the Faculty to confer suitable degrees to students who are successful in their studies and research. The power of conferring the degrees of Bachelor and Master (Licentiate) in theology was explicitly granted. On 15th February 1973, the Pontifical Institute of Theology and Philosophy, Alwaye, was officially inaugurated by His Excellecy, the Most Rev.Dr.John Gordon, the then Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to India. On 25th April 1997, through a decree the congregation for Catholic Education separated the Pontifical Institute from the Pontifical Seminary. At present the Pontifical Institute functions at two separate campuses – Mangalapuzha and Carmelgiri, and offers simultaneously courses of theology and philosophy in both campuses.

At present the Institute is empowered to confer the following degrees. Bachelor of Philosophy; Bachelor of Theology; Master of theology; Doctor of theology. For the degree of Master of theology Spiritual theology, dogmatic theology, Pastoral theology and Counseling and Biblical theology are offered by the Institute as branches of specialization.

Though the St. Joseph’s Pontifical Seminary has been reorganized on the basis of rites(the Mangalapuzha section for the Syro Malabar Church and the Carmeligiri section for the Latins), the Pontifical Institute remains common and is autonomous It is governed by the Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council.(K.C.B.C.).

The academic community of the seminary is composed of two categories, namely the resident students and the day scholars. The latter have their religious study houses around the seminary and come to the seminary only for class. The resident students are mainly from the Syro-Malabar dioceses in Kerala and outside. There are also a few students belonging to the Syro-Malankara dioceses and a handful from religious communities having no houses nearby. The number of resident students is 280 and of the day scholars is 144 in the academic year 2006-2007.

Mangalapuzha seminary (മംഗലപ്പുഴ സെമിനാരി) has been maintaining a close collaboration with other seminaries. A common “Programme for Formators” for the staff of the Syro-Malabar seminaries was organized under the auspices of the Syro-Malabar synod of bishops. Informal meetings of the staff of the seminaries were also held with sharing sessions. Such gatherings help the staff to know each other, to share the problems of formation in each seminary and eventually to arrive at solutions. As far as the students of various seminaries are concerned there are inter-seminary matches in Volleyball and Basketball, inter-seminary Quiz Competition, debate Competition, Homily Competition etc.

Mangalapuzha seminary has a cemetery chapel, which is a place of pilgrimage. The bodies of Venerable Aurelian OCD and the Servant of God Zacharias OCD of blessed memory rested there for decades. Their mortal remains were solemnly transferred to the special tombs in the Carmelite Monastery Church at Manjummel.

As regards the finance of the seminary the various papal agencies, namely CNEWA, Opus Sancti Petri and MISSIO have been rendering wonderful service to the seminary. The Congregation for Oriental Churches, the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and the Congregation for the Catholic Education render special care and support to the seminary and its activities.

The undivided St. Joseph’s Pontifical Seminary, Mangalapuzha, (സെന്റ്‌ ജോസഫ് പൊന്റിഫിക്കല്‍ സെമിനാരി,  മംഗലപ്പുഴ) celebrated the Golden Jubilee of its transfer from Puthenpally to Mangalapuzha on 9th and 10th of March 1983. This year 2007 the seminary celebrates the Platinum Jubilee of its transfer to Mangalapuzha. On this occasion the seminary remembers with gratitude all benefactors and the zealous discalzed Carmelite missionaries for their outstanding contribution to the Church in Kerala especially in the field of priestly formation. The statement of Msgr. Martin Lucas SVD, the then Apostolic Internuncio, on the occasion of the inauguration of Carmelgiri seminary on 24 November 1955, is the best compliment for them. “If the Carmelite Fathers had done nothing else for the Church in Kerala,but build these two splendid and magnificent seminaries, India would never forget them”.

Posted in Mangalapuzha | Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a Comment »

 
Alwin Kaduppil MCBS

Live to Love...

The Eternal Love

നിത്യസ്നേഹം

Tuesday Conference

Blogging Theology, Philosophy and Religious Ethics.

SABS St Thomas Province, Changanassery

Rita Bhavan, Koothrappally

കടലാസ്

ഒളിച്ചുവയ്ക്കനുള്ളതല്ല, വിളിച്ചുപറയനുള്ളതാണ് കല. www.facebook.com/kadalaass

NOYEL SEBASTIAN ANIYARA

"IF YOU TREMBLE INDIGNATION AT EVERY INJUSTICE THEN YOU ARE A COMRADE OF MINE".

varkeyvithayathilmcbs

YOUR LOVING ചങ്ങാതി

Georgejoy's Blog

This WordPress.com site is the cat’s pajamas

AURVEDAM

GREAT AURVEDA REMEDIES

MCBS African Mission

Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament

VatiKos Theologie

Bible Theology Spirituality

Emmaus Retreat Centre, Mallappally

Divyakarunya Mariyabhavan: MCBS Retreat & Counselling Centre at its Birthplace

Mullamuttukal......

Beauty of Childhood

Benno John Manjappallikkunnel

Life is to Love; Live to Love God

MCBS Ndono Parish, Africa

MCBS Parish in Tabora Diocese

Divyakarunya Mariyabhavan, Mallappally

Emmaus: MCBS Counselling & Retreat Centre at its Birth Place

Bro.Jobin karipacheril MCBS

LORD MAKE ME AN INSTRUMENT OF YOUR LOVE

Anto Kottadikunnel MCBS

To Become the Bread for the Lord

Jyothi Public School, Nalamile

A School for Excellence

josephmcbs

THE ONE IS TO SERVE

കണ്ണാടിപൊട്ടുകള്‍

നിനക്കായി ജാലകം തുറക്കുന്നു ...

SANJOE SEMINARY, SOLAPUR

MCBS Mission Minor Seminary

ebiangelfriend4u

Friend is heart and friendship is heartbeats...

geopaulose

Just another WordPress.com site

bibinmcbs

Just another WordPress.com site

ajeeshkashamkulam

Its all about me and my sharing of views

വചനം തിരുവചനം

ദൈവത്തിന്റെ വചനം സജീവവും ഊര്ജസ്വലവും ആണ് ;ഇരുതലവാളിനെക്കാള്‍ മൂര്‍ച്ച ഏറിയതും ,ചേതനയിലും ആത്മാവിലും സന്ധിബന്ധങ്ങളിലും മജ്ജയിലും തുളച്ചു കയറി ഹൃദയത്തിന്റെ വിചാരങ്ങളെയും നിയോഗങ്ങള്‍ വിവേചിക്കുന്നതുമാണ്

Marian Family for Christ

Just another WordPress.com site

Vipin Cheradil MCBS

Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament

Lisieux Minor Seminary, Athirampuzha

Formation House of MCBS Emmaus Province

Karunikan Group of Publications, India

Karuniknan, Smart Companion, Smart Family

MCBS EMMAUS PROVINCE

Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament

MCBS AFRICAN MISSION

Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament

MCBS EMMAUS SAMPREETHY

Charitable Institute for the Differently Abled

Fr Antony Madathikandam MCBS

Live to Love Him to the Eternity

Mangalapuzha Seminary / മംഗലപ്പുഴ സെമിനാരി

St Joseph Pontifical Seminary, Alwaye, India / സെന്റ്‌ ജോസഫ് പൊന്റിഫിക്കല്‍ സെമിനാരി, ആലുവ

%d bloggers like this: